Monday 30 March 2009

growing on me

sorry for the time between updates, but i guess ottawa isn't exactly an exotic locale. i'm finally properly settled in with a bed and a sofa and real plates...life is full of little luxeries. the best thing of all though is having my bookshelf (and adjoining alcove) stocked full of my books that i haven't been able to have for 3 years. i know it's a bit stupid, particularly with my lifestyle, to have such an attachment to loads of heavy objects that take up a lot of room, but i can't help feeling like they're part of me and immediately make my house feel like a home. i'm actually really enjoying the city as well, it's not as bad as i was expecting! the weather is starting to get sunny and i've met some really cool people to sit on patios drinking beer with. there's really only one thing..err person...who could make me feel any happier right now and he'll be making an appearance in less than a week, so sorted! the long distance thing is a hard reality of this line of work, something to get used to, but manageable by the patient and foolhardy.

i'm now in my final week of french school, the big grammar test is scheduled for monday! thank goodness! i really have a lot of respect for all of those learning from scratch. though as someone pointed out to me, we really should feel lucky to have the opportunity to learn another language (or in my case re-learn..) and get paid to do it. it's true....but that does little to relieve the day-to-day of it! i'll be sad to leave the new friends i've made there and hope they join me in the office sharpish. wish me luck for monday.

No comments: