Monday 3 November 2008

american idol

What kind of politico would I be if I didn't make mention of the impending American election. I've been following the election buzz with a lot of interest. A good percentage of my peers at the moment are also politics students, so it was pretty hard to avoid the subject. Not that I'd want to, as let's face it, it is pretty massive. Who will be the new leader of the free world effects us all..primarily in terms of foreign policy. It almost makes one feel as if the rest of the world should get a vote or two in this election.

But if you're Canadian (even one living abroad) the next American president is an even more pressing matter. Canadians aren't exactly shifting a lot of weight on the international stage, it's not really our style. Or policies are often alongside or in direct response to what is decided by our southern neighbour. That's why I wasn't partiularly bothered by the results of the recent PM election because it is clear that policies coming out of Ottawa are going to be shaped in a big way by who ends up getting the keys to the White House.

Just another night to wait....I'll be pulling an all nighter here in England.

No comments: